If you have questions after reading the below information please feel free to contact the school at 659-6297. Families may also view our student agenda book, our student code of conduct, and other important communications on our school’s website at http://jbm.smyrna.k12.de.us
Basic School Operations
- On the first day of school our staff members will greet incoming students and assist as needed. Numerous staff members will be equipped with a master Teacher Assignment listing and direct children to the appropriate classroom.
- All students will receive a Student Agenda/Calendar Book on the first day of school. This agenda book will provide valuable information and outline our rules, code of conduct, and expectations. Please review this information with your child.
- For supervision purposes please do not drop-off and leave students prior to 8:15 am – our staff members assume their duty positions at this time. If your son or daughter is a walker please assist us with reinforcement of this request.
- For all students who are transported to or from JBM by automobile, either before the start of school or at the end of the school day, we have designated the northeastern end of the building as the drop-off/pick-up location. This section of the building faces the Christiana Care facility and the Public Library/Opera House parking lot. We have received permission to use the Smyrna Public Library parking lot during AM drop-off and PM pick-up. Parents may use the public parking lot for school transportation purposes as long as they do not “park and go” or leave their automobile for an extended period of time. Also, please do not park in any spaces reserved for Smyrna Public Library or Smyrna Opera House employees. All Walkers will also gather at this location prior to entering the school at 8:20 am and exit this stairwell at 3:27 pm.
- All vehicle access to JBM via Frazier Street will be denied due to busing. Frazier Street is the road that runs between JBM and the detached gymnasium.
7:00 am **Breakfast Club Begins
8:20-8:35 Students Enter Building/Homeroom
8:35 am Late Bell and Announcements
3:27 pm Walkers/Car Riders Dismissed
3:29 pm 5th Grade Bus Dismissal
3:31 pm 6th Grade Bus Dismissal
3:35 pm Buses depart
**Breakfast club services will not be available during a one or two-hour delay.**
Before and After School Care
- In order to accommodate parent work schedules the Smyrna School District offers a program called “The Breakfast Club.” Beginning at 7:00 am prior to the start of each school day, breakfast and before school care will be available at a cost of $2.50 per day (a monthly prepayment will be required). If interested in this service registration forms may be obtained in our front office, or, escort your child to our cafeteria the first day of school for registration and payment. All students who would like to participate in this program will enter the building at the Northeastern stairwell. This stairwell faces the Opera House and the Smyrna Public Library. All student participants must be escorted into the building’s cafeteria and signed-in by a parent/guardian on a daily basis.
- The Boys and Girls Club of Delaware will sponsor after school child care services for $65.00 a week (plus an annual $15.00 membership fee). Busing from JBM to Smyrna Elementary School will be provided in order to accommodate this service. The program will begin at the conclusion of the school day and end at 6:00 pm. This program will feature books for reading, writing experiences, educational games, cultural and arts enrichment, outdoor/indoor recreation, homework help, and group tutoring to extend learning. Registration forms are now available for pick-up in our Main Office. Please contact the front office if bussing is needed for this service at the start of the school year.
In closing and on behalf of the JBM faculty, we look forward to a positive and rewarding school year. Enjoy the remainder of your summer!
Mr. Steve Gott
Principal, JBM Intermediate School